The fitment of rates of services were discussed on 19 May 2017 during the 14th GST Council meeting held at Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir. The Council has broadly approved the GST rates for services at Nil, 5%, 12%, 18% and 28% as listed below. Council decided that following 83 service tax exemptions (1 new) shall be continued in GST.
1. Services by Government or a local authority excluding the following services—
(i) services by the Department of Posts by way of speed post, express parcel post, life insurance, and agency services provided to a person other than Government;
(ii) services in relation to an aircraft or a vessel, inside or outside the precincts of a port or an airport;
(iii) transport of goods or passengers; or
(iv) any service, other than services covered under clauses (i) to (iii) above, provided to business entities.
2. Services by the Reserve Bank of India
3. Services by a foreign diplomatic mission located in India
4. Services relating to cultivation of plants and rearing of all life forms of animals, except the rearing of horses, for food, fibre, fuel, raw material or other similar products or agricultural produce by way of—
(i) agricultural operations directly related to production of any agricultural produce including cultivation, harvesting, threshing, plant protection or testing or
(ii) supply of farm labour;
(iii) processes carried out at an agricultural farm including tending, pruning, cutting, harvesting, drying, cleaning, trimming, sun drying, fumigating, curing, sorting, grading, cooling or bulk packaging and such like operations which do not alter the essential characteristics of agricultural produce but make it only marketable for the primary market;
(iv) renting or leasing of agro machinery or vacant land with or without a structure incidental to its use;
(v) loading, unloading, packing, storage or warehousing of agricultural produce;
(vi) agricultural extension services;
(vii) services by any Agricultural Produce Marketing Committee or Board or services provided by a commission agent for sale or purchase of agricultural produce.
5. Service by way of access to a road or a bridge on payment of toll charges.
6. Transmission or distribution of electricity by an electricity transmission or distribution utility.
7. Services by way of renting of residential dwelling for use as residence.
8. Services by way of—
(i) extending deposits, loans or advances in so far as the consideration is represented by way of interest or discount (other than interest involved in credit card services);
(ii) inter se sale or purchase of foreign currency amongst banks or authorised dealers of foreign exchange or amongst banks and such dealers;
9. Services by way of transportation of goods
(i) by road except the services of—
(A) a goods transportation agency; or
(B) a courier agency;
(ii) by inland waterways;
10. Services provided to the United Nations or a specified international organization. Exemption may be notified by way of issuing notification under section 55 of CGST/SGST Act.
11. Services provided by operators of the Common Bio-medical Waste Treatment Facility to a clinical establishment by way of treatment or disposal of bio-medical waste or the processes incidental thereto;
12. Services by a veterinary clinic in relation to health care of animals or birds;
13. Services by an entity registered under section 12AA of the Income tax Act, 1961 (43 of 1961) by way of charitable activities;[Charitable activities may be defined as presently in notification No 25/2012-ST.
14. Services by a specified organisation in respect of a religious pilgrimage facilitated by the Ministry of External Affairs of the Government of India, under bilateral arrangement;
15. Services provided by-
(a) an arbitral tribunal to –
(i) any person other than a business entity; or (ii) a business entity with a turnover up to rupees twenty lakh (ten lakh rupees in a special category state) in the preceding financial year;
(b) a partnership firm of advocates or an individual as an advocate other than a senior advocate, by way of legal services to-
(i) an advocate or partnership firm of advocates providing legal services;
(ii) any person other than a business entity; or (iii) a business entity with a turnover up to rupees twenty lakh (ten lakh rupees in a special category state) in the preceding financial year; or
(c) a senior advocate by way of legal services to-
(i) any person other than a business entity; or (ii) a business entity up to rupees twenty lakh (ten lakh rupees in a special category state) in the preceding financial year;
16. Services provided,-
(a) by an educational institution to its students, faculty and staff;
(b) to an educational institution, by way of,-
(i) transportation of students, faculty and staff;
(ii) catering, including any mid-day meals scheme sponsored by the Government;
(iii) security or cleaning or house-keeping services performed in such educational institution;
(iv)services relating to admission to, or conduct of examination by, such institution;
upto higher secondary.
Provided that nothing contained in clause (b) of this entry shall apply to an educational institution other than an institution providing services by way of pre-school education and education up to higher secondary school or equivalent
17. Services provided by the Indian Institutes of Management, as per the guidelines of the Central Government, to their students, by way of the following educational programmes, except Executive Development Programme, –
(a) two year full time residential Post Graduate Programmes in Management for the Post Graduate Diploma in Management, to which admissions are made on the basis of Common Admission Test (CAT), conducted by Indian Institute of Management;
(b) fellow programme in Management;
(c) five year integrated programme in Management.
18. Services provided to a recognized sports body by-
(a) an individual as a player, referee, umpire, coach or team manager for participation in a sporting event organized by a recognized sports body;
(b) another recognised sports body;
19. Services by an artist by way of a performance in folk or classical art forms of (i) music, or (ii)dance, or (iii)theatre, if the consideration charged for such performance is not more than one lakh and fifty thousand rupees:
Provided that the exemption shall not apply to service provided by such artist as a brand ambassador;
20. Services by way of collecting or providing news by an independent journalist, Press Trust of India or United News of India;